Thursday, February 14, 2013


We're having a baby! Can you believe it? I'm not sure I can....

Recap of first half of pregnancy:

-Found out I was pregnant October 5th on a Friday afternoon. I was hopeful, but really did not expect to be. Kori was coming in town and we tend to hit the town, so I thought I should just be sure, and I couldn't believe it when I thought I saw 2 lines about an hour before she got in town and while George was on the way home from work, completely unaware of what was going on. I then took another one that said "yes" or "no" which confirmed it. I put them both in a gift bag on the counter and told George I got him a surprise. He was confused and I'm sure he thought it was going to be something random, like when I buy him bookends at the flea market. He was shocked when he put saw the tests and took a few minutes to put it together. We obviously had to tell Kori later that night after dinner, though I was almost busted at dinner because the waiter did not get the concept of "give me a non-alcoholic drink in the same cup as the alcoholic ones".

-We told George's parents the next night. We went over to their house to pick up Hudson. George's mom just so happened to pull out all her old baby clothes that she had recently found and washed. After 15 minutes of just talking and me about to loose it because George hadn't told them, he finally asked if his mom was ready for another little one, or something to that effect. She said, "Oh, are Chase and Rebecca having another baby?!". When we corrected her and said "No, we are having a baby," she was speechless for a good 5 minutes and super excited.

-The next day my parents had already planned to be at my brother and sis-in-law's house in Montgomery, so I suggested that we come down and all have a big family lunch, since we hadn't seen my nephew Charlie is a while. On Saturday, Kori's' friend was kind enough to monogram a onsie for Charlie that said "big cousin". When we got to Montgomery, we gave the gift to Erin to open for Charlie. She had her hands full in the kitchen, so my mom took the gift and opened it. She and Erin were the first to read it. Mom and Erin were definitely confused for a minute, but when they put it together, they too were super excited. Then, we had to take a minute to explain it to my dad who was then in shock. :)

-From 7-14 weeks, I was so tired I was convinced I was anemic or had hypothyroidism, but niehter was the case. Just pregnant. Also, I managed to evade the flu despite George getting it pretty bad.  I've already managed to forget when I felt particularly sick and yucky. I did have pretty bad post-shower nausea in the first trimester. At first I thought I was imagining it, but apparently its a recognized side effect of increasing estrogen/progesterone. The heat from the shower causes vasodilation and the higher levels of hormones exacerbate the vasodilation and can drop your blood pressure causing nausea and lightheadedness. It was pretty miserable, but not as miserable a true morning sickness I'm sure.

-Found out it's a BOY when we went for my 12 week screening ultrasound at 11.5 weeks. We had a senior faculty doctor, Dr. Davis, who asked us if we were planning to find out the sex of the baby as soon as they put the ultrasound on my belly. We casually said yes and next thing we knew, he was showing us that it's a boy. We were not expecting that news, but were glad to have it. He was 99% confident and told me I could start buying blue. I was still slightly skeptical, because it just seemed so early to know. The rest of the screening went fine too.  We then reconfirmed on our own on an ultrasound at work a month later that it still looked like a boy to us.

-Had my 20 week anatomy scan ultrasound at 19 weeks. My mom and George's mom both went to the appointment with us. Fortunately, this baby was all balled up and we couldn't see much of anything other than a balled up fetus. George and I went back the next week, since they couldn't get all the needed measurements and views. That ultrasound was great! We could see so much and they put it on 3D so we could see his alienish little face.

-Thought I felt kicks during my 21st week, but couldn't convince myself with all the other rumbles in my tummy. On Feb 10th, 21.5 weeks, I defintely felt him kicking and George could feel it too. Since then, he's been kicking a few times a day. Sometimes I poke back :)

Overall assessment of pregnancy so far: not my cup of tea, but the endpoint will be great. 
Next up, ultrasound pics and belly pics. 

I'll try not to be so scarce. 
I'm hoping to make this more of picture blog in the future.

1 comment:

  1. Yay for blogging again! Looking forward to more baby Nelson updates!

    Caroline

    ReplyDelete