Thursday, March 29, 2012

Dem bones, dem bones, dem dry bones....

Anybody remember that one? Now its stuck in my head.... My current residency requires all interns to write a case report and present the case in the form of a poster to senior faculty for judging in a friendly competition among residents. This is the sort of project you hear about from day 1 of residency and must have in the back of your mind, because everyone wants a good case. Well, my case has nothing to do with my long term career goals as it involves a surgical/gynecological procedure and bone infections, not skin, but I like to think its a pretty good case. In layman's terms, its about a healthy woman who developed infection in the bones and joints of her sternum and collarbone with bacteria that usually lives in the female genital tract after having a simple gynecologic procedure = extremely rare; I actually couldn't find any other cases like ours. I presented it yesterday, so we'll have to wait and see what the results of the competition are. I'm not a great, or even good, speaker, so I'm not expecting anything, but anyone who knows me knows that I'm innately a competitive person so I can always hope. However, I was selected to submit my case to be presented at this year's Annual Alabama Chapter meeting of the American College of Physicians. Its a 4 day meeting at the beach (<-key word).  If I never bring either of these topics up again on the blog, it means that I didn't win anything in the poster presentation competition and my case was rejected from the conference. We shall see :)
My Poster
Aaaand, thank you George (who I'm pretty sure has no idea how to even find this blog on the internet) for proofreading everything for me! I couldn't have done it without you :)

1 more night of night float left after tonight!!!
Yay, I won't be living like a vampire anymore.
Then, its on to Surgery. Yikes!

No comments:

Post a Comment